[R-sig-ME] lmer output shows laplace approximation not reml

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Fri Jul 20 17:51:54 CEST 2012

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 9:20 PM, Yolande Tra <yolande.tra at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Douglas,
>
> I am sorry to bother you but this is very important. I posted the following question (in a slight different version) at r-sig-ME question list but it seems no one is able to answer it.

But Ben answered it.  When you specify family="poisson" you are
fitting a generalized linear mixed model.  The parameter estimates
provided for such a model by lme4 are the maximum likelihood
estimates, up to an approximation.  The default approximation is the
Laplace approximation.

 This data has quite complicated design. I did not find any example
that is similar in the literature on lme4. According to the
investigator this is a partial nested design. Counts were collected at
different transects, different depths and different sites at different
times. Time is continuous and assumed to be random, all the others are
categorical fixed where transect is nested within depth which is
nested within site. Definitely the three factors are nested within
each other but based on the the attached files and the table below, it
looks like this a repeated measurement design where time (dive_id) is
nested within the three factor level combination. So far if I am
wrong, please correct me. I believe the main effect is site (b) and
level (a) is nested within depth(b) which in turn is nested within
site(b). dive_id which represents also time is random.