[R-sig-ME] overdispersion in GLMMs (Alejandro Mart?nez Abra?n)

David Atkins datkins at u.washington.edu
Thu Jul 19 17:57:25 CEST 2012

Elizabeth and Alejandro--

We discuss the over-dispersed Poisson mixed model (with per-observation
random effect) in the following tutorial:

Atkins, D. C., Baldwin, S., Zheng, C., Gallop, R. J., & Neighbors, C.
(in press). A tutorial on count regression and zero-altered count models
for longitudinal substance use data. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors.

which you can find along with data and R code:

http://depts.washington.edu/cshrb/newweb/statstutorials.html

Hope that helps.

cheers, Dave

 > 1. How can I estimate overdispersion in a Poisson GLMMM?

I usually fit overdispersed Poisson (or Binomial) GLMMs by adding a
unique identifier for each observation, then adding that unique ID as
a random term.  You can "test" how overdispersed the model is by
looking at the standard deviation assoicated with that random effect,
or by comparing the fit of a model with the overdispersion term to one
without it.

Alternatively, you can look at overdispersion due to random effects of
individual, plot, etc, using the same basic procedure.

I think I got the idea from the Gelman et al. Bayesian stats text.  I
would be curious to know if others do this also.

 > 2. I am trying to run a quasipoisson GLMM using the lmer function and the
 > lme4 library but I get a
 > warning stating that "glmer cannot deal with quasi error families?
Any tip?
 > because I have seen this done.

My understanding is that this functionality has been removed, since it
is +/- redundant with the approach used above, but less naturally
linked to the mixed model framework.

--
****************************
Elizabeth E. Crone
email: ecrone at fas.harvard.edu

--
Dave Atkins, PhD
Research Associate Professor
datkins at u.washington.edu

Center for the Study of Health and Risk Behaviors (CSHRB)
1100 NE 45th Street, Suite 300
Seattle, WA  98105
206-616-3879
http://depts.washington.edu/cshrb/
(Mon-Wed)

Center for Healthcare Improvement, for Addictions, Mental Illness,
   Medically Vulnerable Populations (CHAMMP)
325 9th Avenue, 2HH-15
Box 359911
Seattle, WA 98104
http://www.chammp.org