[R-sig-ME] expert opinion on using lmer

Federico Calboli f.calboli at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Jul 19 15:40:54 CEST 2012

THIS IS NOT AN EXPERT OPINION but:

> I have the following design, counts were collected at different transects,
> different depths and different sites at different times. Time is continuous
> and assumed to be random, all the others are categorical fixed where
> transect is nested within depth which is nested within site.

I do find the idea that *nested* covariates should be seen as fixed to be odd.  What I would do is to create a NEW covariate for each site/depth/transect combination if I had to consider these covariates as fixed effects.  Secondly, if you are modelling 'counts of something' at time 'whatever' in your sites, I also find it odd that time is the random variable.  Basically, I would see time as fixed and the whole transect business as random.

Hence I would do something like

lmer(count ~ time + (time|a:b:c), family = 'poisson')

to have a random intercept for the nesting variable.

does it help?

BW