[R-sig-ME] P values in summary tables from lmer objects

Christoph Scherber Christoph.Scherber at agr.uni-goettingen.de
Thu Jul 12 14:09:36 CEST 2012

Dear all,

It seems that the newest version of lme4 (0.999999-0) now provides P values in the summary tables.
Given the many previous discussions about the derivation of P values in lmer, I was just wondering
how "safe" it would now be to use these values (and how they´re calculated). I guess they´re just
taken internally from a call to glm?

Example:

##
gm1 <- glmer(cbind(incidence, size - incidence) ~ period + (1 | herd),
              family = binomial, data = cbpp)
summary(gm1)
coef(summary(gm1))

##