[R-sig-ME] glmmPQL Question

John Michel jwmichel at loyola.edu
Mon Jun 4 21:51:39 CEST 2012

Dear Netters

I am working on some analyses in which I have a two level random effects model and a dichotomous dependent variable. I am using glmmPQL with family=binomial in my model command. I have calculated my models successfully; however, I am now trying to calculate my variance components. I have done a lot using the lme function and have used the following formula to estimate variance components:

VarCorr(Model.1)
GRPpdSymm(1)

What is the syntax to get the variance components in glmmPQL? If this is not simple, I am assuming I could use lmer; however, I also cannot figure out how to get the variance components in lmer. In any even, I would appreciate any suggestions here.

Best
John

John W. Michel, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Management
Sellinger School of Business & Management
Loyola University Maryland
4501 N. Charles Street
Baltimore, MD 21201
jwmichel at loyola.edu