[R-sig-ME] statistical basis for using mixed model in a situation

John Maindonald john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
Thu May 31 02:31:36 CEST 2012

The two approaches (but doing the t-test with var.equal=TRUE) should
give the same final result, unless the between sample component of
variance happens to be estimated to be zero. If you average the triplicates,
you get output that is easier to interpret.  The t-test output will give you the
number of degrees of freedom for the t-test.

Thinking in terms of averaging the triplicates hints at the possibility
that some other form of summary might in one or other circumstance
be preferable, e.g., work with a median.

The mixed model is needed if you want the variance information that,
if it can be estimated with enough accuracy to be useful, allows
prediction of the manner in which the SEDs will change when, e.g.,
each sample is measured 5 times.

It is a "horses for courses" matter!

John Maindonald             email: john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
phone : +61 2 (6125)3473    fax  : +61 2(6125)5549
Centre for Mathematics & Its Applications, Room 1194,
John Dedman Mathematical Sciences Building (Building 27)
Australian National University, Canberra ACT 0200.
http://www.maths.anu.edu.au/~johnm