[R-sig-ME] Help! What are the typical diagnosis that one can do when facing "fail to converge"?

arun smartpink111 at yahoo.com
Thu May 10 17:41:20 CEST 2012

HI Michael,

I also had a similar warning message but with lmer ( (Warning message:In mer_finalize(ans) : false convergence (8)).  I used verbose=TRUE in the model statement.  It will print each iteration estimates.  I also tried to increase the iterations, but it didn't work.  Then, I found this blog (http://davidhughjones.blogspot.com/2009/11/lme-false-convergence.html).  It says to look for betas with estimates very low and divide that variable by 10 or 100.  This was the only solution that worked for me.  But, the estimates of beta for the variable and its interactions will be 10 fold higher than expected.

Your warning is bit different, so I am not sure whether it will work or not.

A.K.