[R-sig-ME] Very small random effect estimation in lmer but not in stata xtmixed

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Fri May 4 15:54:00 CEST 2012

On 12-05-04 09:46 AM, Joerg Luedicke wrote:
> Ben,
>
> OP initially posted his problem over at the R-help forum:
>
> https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2012-May/311685.html
>
> and so there was some discussion already.
>
> Mohammed sent me his data off-list and there does not seem to be a
> problem with his data, as far as I can see. The problem rather
> seems to be that lmer has some difficulties with estimating the
> variance parameter for varying intercepts when the sample size is
> small and the lower level variance is high relative to the group
> level variance. Please see my following post from the R-help
> forum:
>
> https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2012-May/311766.html
>
> Any thoughts on this?
>
> Joerg

  I would love to see the data and/or the comparison with (1) nlme and
(2) the development version of lme4, to know if the problem is
fixed/fixable. My (not very informed at this point) guess is that it
is basically a nonlinear optimization problem.  I would like to see
the plot of REML vs. estimated RE variance -- my guess is that it has
two maxima ...

  (Thomas Lumley's answer on r-help looks wrong to me: I think he was
reading the model output too quickly and confused the correlation
among fixed effects with an among-RE correlation.)

  Ben Bolker