[R-sig-ME] Correlation of random effects in lmer

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Sat Apr 28 04:39:33 CEST 2012

arun <smartpink111 at ...> writes:

> I am testing a couple of logistic regression longitudinal models
> using lmer.  I got stuck in a position where I found that the
> correlation between random effects is 1.00 (intercept and slope
> -model with one term for the same grouping factor), while the
> std. deviation is very low for the slope.  Then, I tested another
> model with more than one term for the same grouping factor.  The LRT
> test p value is not significant.  Is it okay to keep the second
> model in this case?

  I'm not sure I agree with your terminology here -- there are really
two terms in both the (1+time|subject) model and the (1|subject) +
(0+time|subject) model, they are just forced to be independent in the
second case while the first case allows them to be correlated.

> Random effects:
>  Groups  Name        Variance   Std.Dev. Corr
>  resid   (Intercept) 10.9575146 3.310214
>  Subject (Intercept)  0.8220584 0.906674
>          time         0.0041092 0.064103 1.000
> Number of obs: 392, groups: resid, 392; Subject, 25
>
> > anova(fm2_BDat,fm1_BDat)
> Data: Behavdat
> Models:
> fm2_BDat: Response3 ~ 1 + Wavelength * Start_Resp * time + (1 | resid) +
> fm2_BDat:     (1 | Subject_BDat) + (0 + time | Subject_BDat)
> fm1_BDat: Response3 ~ 1 + Wavelength * Start_Resp * time + (1 | resid) +
> fm1_BDat:     (1 + time | Subject_BDat)
>          Df    AIC    BIC  logLik  Chisq Chi Df Pr(>Chisq)
> fm2_BDat 15 754.30 813.87 -362.15
> fm1_BDat 16 754.24 817.78 -361.12 2.0564      1     0.1516

  This is a very common situation, and a bit of a tough call (I
haven't seen much in the way of formal, rigorously tested guidance for
this situation.)  What glmer is telling you is essentially that you
really don't have enough data to fit two separate random effects
((intercept):Subject and time:Subject), so the fit is collapsing
onto a linear combination of the two.  Your second model (fm2_BDat)
is enforcing a zero correlation between the two random effects: I would
not be surprised if the variance of one of the two were very close
to zero (although you haven't shown us that).

  I will give several (conflicting) arguments here, I would be
interested to hear what others have to say:

  1. You have no _a priori_ way of knowing that the correlation
*is* exactly zero (if you had enough data, you would almost certainly
find that there was a non-zero correlation between these terms);
you shouldn't be doing 'sacrificial' or stepwise removal of terms.
Keep the more complex model.

  2. You should be trying to select the 'minimal adequate' model; in
particular, overfitting the model (including zero and/or perfectly
correlated terms) is more likely to lead to numeric problems, so it's
better to try to reduce the model until all the terms can be uniquely
estimated.  (This is the approach suggested in Bolker et al 2008
_Trends in Ecology and Evolution_)

 3.  AIC (which is looking for the best *predictive* model) very
slightly favors the model with correlation, although it's almost a
wash; if you were finding model-averaged predictions, they would be
nearly a 50/50 mixture of the predictions from the two models.

 4. BIC (which is looking for the "true" model, i.e. identifying the
correct dimensionality) favors the simpler (no-correlation) model.

 5. If you are most interested in inference on the fixed-effect terms,
I doubt it matters -- my guess is that these two models give nearly
identical fixed-effect estimates.

  As long as you decide what to do in a principled way (which
approach seems to best fit the analysis you want to do?) rather
than by selecting the one that gives you the answers you like
best, I think either model is defensible.