[R-sig-ME] Gene expression lme

Federico Calboli f.calboli at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Apr 26 17:56:30 CEST 2012

On 26 Apr 2012, at 16:43, Federico Calboli wrote:

> If each subregion is uniquely identified, so that subregion A can only be associated with patient X, and subregion Z can only be found in patient Y (and similarly, the same is done for regions), I though that
>
> lmer(epression ~ probe + (1|patient) + (1|region) + (1|subregion))
>
> would work.  Unique identifiers for the same region in different patients might sound odd at first, but in my experience it works and simplifies the specification of the nesting, which then happens automatically

I might have been too fast in my reply.  It occours to me that if you want to have some sort of matching between say, the first region in patient one and the first region in patient 2 my advice above won't work.  It will work if you do not care about such matching though

Federico C. F. Calboli
Neuroepidemiology and Ageing Research
Imperial College, St. Mary's Campus
Norfolk Place, London W2 1PG

Tel +44 (0)20 75941602   Fax +44 (0)20 75943193

f.calboli [.a.t] imperial.ac.uk
f.calboli [.a.t] gmail.com