[R-sig-ME] How to extract num. of observations and groups used in a mixed model using gee package

Robert Kushler kushler at oakland.edu
Tue Apr 24 16:54:58 CEST 2012

The following lines from the gee help page ...

Details

Though input data need not be sorted by the variable named "id", the program will interpret physically contiguous
records possessing the same value of id as members of the same cluster. Thus it is possible to use the following vector
as an id vector to discriminate 4 clusters of size 4: c(0,0,0,0,1,1,1,1,0,0,0,0,1,1,1,1).

  ... indicate that the proposed strategy may not yield a correct answer.  In fact, the above suggests
that you could get different results depending on whether or not your data set is sorted.  I find
this quite disturbing, but haven't taken the time to test it.

Regards,   Rob Kushler