[R-sig-ME] Kinship vs. Pedigreemm

David Duffy David.Duffy at qimr.edu.au
Wed Apr 11 10:53:03 CEST 2012

On Wed, 11 Apr 2012, Jonas Klasen wrote:

> So far as I know, in the pedigreemm package, there is only the internal
> function pedigreemm:::ZStar which can handle covariance relationship
> matrices. So there is no officially supported way for implementing a kinship
> in pedigreemm,or I'm wrong?

I thought that pedigreemm(...pedigree=list()) was the official
interface for including "the (left) Cholesky factor of the relationship
matrix".  But yes, it sounds like it doesn't yet work with the latest
lme4.

Cheers, David Duffy

P.S. For the curious, you can also see some code

http://genepi.qimr.edu.au/staff/davidD/Sib-pair/Src/sib-pair.R

for the LMM and probit-normal GLMM (function do_varcomp()).  It allows to
you to add an empirical kinship matrix for VC linkage analysis.  Fitting
is direct maximization of the likelihood using optim().  It is pretty slow
on large kindreds (no sparse matrices etc), but a proof it is pretty easy
to roll your own in R.  It does have the advantage of not complaining
about non-full-rank NRMs.