[R-sig-ME] Kinship vs. Pedigreemm

David Duffy David.Duffy at qimr.edu.au
Tue Apr 10 04:36:54 CEST 2012

On Mon, 9 Apr 2012, Joehanes, Roby (NIH/NHLBI) [F] wrote:

> Yes, you are right. It appears that package kinship is now broken into
> several packages: coxme, kinship2, bdsmatrix, among others. Are you
> aware of the difference between them and pedigreemm?

Terry Therneau wrote in the lmekin vignette:

"Let me emphasis this: most models that can be fit with the lmekin
function can also be fit with lme and/or lmer. For any such model the
lme/lmer functions will be faster and have superior support routines
(residuals, printing, plotting, etc.) The solution code for lmer is likely
also more reliable since it has been exercised on a much wider variety of
data sets.

"However, there are models that lmekin will fit which lme will not. The
most obvious of these are models with a random genetic effect, e.g. a
kinship matrix. The second class will be models for which the user has
written their own variance extension, as described in the variance
vignette."