[R-sig-ME] Binary clustered data with negative intraclass correlation

Henrik Hermansson ajhhermansson at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 16:16:19 CEST 2012

Dear all,

I have been searching far and wide for a solution to the following problem:

I have clustered data with a binary outcome. But, rather unusually
(but logically, given the application) the correlation within the
clusters is negative, as a result of competition within the cluster. I
understand from Ten Have et al. (1998) that in such cases, most
clustered-standard-errors estimators will be biased, since they assume
a positive intraclass (intracluster) correlation.

Thomas R. Ten Have, Allen Kunselman & Euginia Zharichenko (1998):
Accommodating negative intracluster correlation with a mixed effects
logistic model for bivariate binary data, Journal of Biopharmaceutical
Statistics, 8:1, 131-149

I'm hoping that someone will be able to point me towards a R package
(or similar) which can perform random effect clustered standard errors
regression without the limitation of an assumed positive intraclass
correlation.

Many thanks in advance for any help and guidance!

Best regards
Henrik Hermansson
PhD Candidate
Department of Political Science