[R-sig-ME] lme4.0

Joshua Wiley jwiley.psych at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 09:01:28 CEST 2012

To install from source, you need to have the necessary compilers
installed on your system.  lme4 (any incarnation) is not a pure R
implementation.

On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 11:05 PM, Antonio P. Ramos
<ramos.grad.student at gmail.com> wrote:
> it doesn't work either though I am geting a weird error message:
>
>> install.packages("lme4.0", repos="http://r-forge.r-project.org",
> type="source")
> Installing package(s) into
> ‘/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.14/Resources/library’
> (as ‘lib’ is unspecified)
> trying URL 'http://r-forge.r-project.org/src/contrib/lme4.0_0.9999-1.tar.gz'
> Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 1037389 bytes (1013 Kb)
> opened URL
> downloaded 1013 Kb
>
> * installing *source* package ‘lme4.0’ ...
> ** libs
> *** arch - i386
> sh: make: command not found

You should not be getting this (make) by itself, but here is a link to
the webpage describing what that command utility is:
http://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/make.html

It is standard for software development.  When you install packages
with defaults, R installs binaries which are precompiled for systems
like yours (OS, architecture 32/64 bit, etc.).  When you use 'type =
"source"', you are attempting to install from the raw source code
which requires your system to be able to compile the binaries itself.
If you do not have the software required for that, you will
understandably get errors.

> ERROR: compilation failed for package ‘lme4.0’
> * removing
> ‘/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.14/Resources/library/lme4.0’
> Warning in install.packages :
>  installation of package ‘lme4.0’ had non-zero exit status

zero exit status means no problems, non-zero means something went
wrong.  If you want, it is pretty straightforward to get all the tools
you need.  *nix tends to come distributed with the appropriate
compilers or you can apt get or use the package manager to get what
you need, not sure about Mac, on Windows it is easy to use the Rtools
distributed now on CRAN.  Anyway, here is the R manual describing how
to go about building from source:
http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-admin.html

HTH,

Josh