[R-sig-ME] Group selection and multi-level modeling

David Duffy David.Duffy at qimr.edu.au
Tue Apr 3 07:16:53 CEST 2012

On Tue, 3 Apr 2012, Dominick Samperi wrote:

> The new E. O. Wilson book 'The Social Conquest of Earth" claims
> that the long dismissed idea of group selection is gaining some
> traction in part due to "multi-level modeling."
>
> Can anyone point to work that aims to support this idea and
> that employs the kind of models and software that is discussed
> here on the SIG-ME list?

Like http://www.pnas.org/content/108/35/14426.full (uses MLwin)?
Are you thinking of multi-level selection, perhaps?  From my limited
reading, group selection is still pooh-poohed by a lot of people in the
field.

I am more familiar with attempts to model assortment and gene-environment
covariation, which give rise to recursive systems that are more easily
modelled in a structural equation type framework.

Just 2c, David Duffy.