[R-sig-ME] extracting gradient and hessian matrix from lme4

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 19:30:23 CEST 2012

On 12-04-01 03:50 AM, Douglas Bates wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 3:44 PM, Joshua Wiley <jwiley.psych at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Ben,
>>
>> Many thanks for the help.  I tried your suggestion out and it seemed
>> to work (and I learned a bit about lme4 in the process :)
>>
>> library(lme4)
>> fm1 <- lmer(Reaction ~ Days + (Days|Subject), sleepstudy)
>> fm1Fun <- update(fm1,devFunOnly=TRUE)
>> library(numDeriv)
>> fm1_thpar <- getME(fm1,"theta")
>> h <- hessian(fm1Fun, fm1_thpar)
>> g <- grad(fm1Fun, fm1_thpar)
>>
>> which I can use (I think) to get standard errors of the variance parameters.
>>
>> library(MASS)
>> sqrt(diag(ginv(h)))
>>
>> which plug into a longer formula that attempts to test the
>> significance of indirect effects.  Given that the variance parameters
>> are not normally distributed, my hunch is that even though both fixed
>> and random effects (and their variances/standard errors) are being
>> built into the mediation test, it is probably not well-behaved either,
>> but it is nice to be able to try to replicate models in the article.
>> Even if they are not perfectly accurate, I am hoping I can use them as
>> a sanity check for when I play with some mcmc and bootstrapping.
>
> I have been travelling and haven't tracked messages on the list
> closely so I might have missed something here.  What do you mean by
> "the variance parameters"?  The theta parameters aren't variances and
> covariances.  They are values from the relative covariance factor.
> For the model you fit the first element of theta is the standard
> deviation of the intercept random effects divided by the standard
> deviation of the per-observation noise.  The second and third elements
> only make sense in terms of the Cholesky factor of the relative
> variance-covariance matrix.
>
> This choice is not arbitrary.  Although we are accustomed to thinking
> in terms of variances and covariances or in terms of standard
> deviations and correlations, these are difficult scales on which to
> optimize because the constraints on these values are complicated
> nonlinear constraints.
>
> So as long as you recognize that the "variance parameters" aren't
> variances or covariances you should be okay.

  The warning is worthwhile.  I haven't taken enough time to figure out
the context (Appendix of

http://www.unc.edu/~dbauer/manuscripts/bauer-preacher-gil-PM-2006.pdf

as stated), but to me it actually seems that the context there is
actually using the RE variances as plug-in estimates (i.e. ignoring
their uncertainty) ... ??