[R-sig-ME] Help understanding residual variance

Reinhold Kliegl reinhold.kliegl at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 07:45:43 CEST 2012

But why is Greg Snow's response inadequate?

Restating his argument:  In an LMM we are not estimating individual
random effects (means, slopes) and individual residuals, but variance
of random effects and variance of residuals. So there can be
differences between a subject's observed random effect and random
slope  and conditional modes of the distribution of the random effects
(i.e., the point of maximum density), given the observed data and
evaluated at the parameter estimates.

I think your statistician's answer is a good argument that you must
not treat conditional modes as independent observations in a
subsequent analyses. For example, we showed with simulations that
correlations between conditional modes of slopes and intercepts are
larger than the correlation parameter estimated in the LMM (Kliegl,
Masson, & Richer, Visual Cognition, 2010).

Reinhold Kliegl

--
Reinhold Kliegl
http://read.psych.uni-potsdam.de/pmr2