[R-sig-ME] Incorporating a Temporal Correlation Structure in a GLM

Kevin J. Ryan Kevin_J_Ryan at umit.maine.edu
Tue Feb 28 17:44:15 CET 2012

Hello,

Thank you all very much for taking the time to give advice on my statistical issues.  So far I have run logistic regression models using glm, lmer, and glmmPQL.  I used pacf to look at autocorrelation of the residuals of these models and they do not
appear to be so (assuming pacf is suitable for use on residuals of a logistic regression).  Something may be going wrong with the lmer model however.  (The output of which is below this message.)  I included “Toad” as a random effect and the
variance and SD are output as 0.  Perhaps because of this, the coefficients of the glm model and the lmer model are exactly the same.

So if my residuals are okay, then perhaps an ordinary glm (pooling all toads) is the way to go.  I would have liked to model proportion of toads emerged but I only had two monitoring devices, which more often than not were not deployed
simultaneously.

Thanks again everyone,

 - Kevin

> summary(Tavg.lmer)

Generalized linear mixed model fit by the Laplace approximation

Formula: Emergence ~ Tavg + (1 | Toad)

   AIC BIC logLik deviance

 481.2 493 -237.6    475.2

Random effects:

 Groups Name        Variance Std.Dev.

 Toad   (Intercept)  0        0

Number of obs: 371, groups: Toad, 16

Fixed effects:

            Estimate Std. Error z value Pr(>|z|)

(Intercept) -5.14598    0.95134  -5.409 6.33e-08 ***

Tavg         0.07202    0.01392   5.174 2.29e-07 ***

---

Signif. codes:  0 '***' 0.001 '**' 0.01 '*' 0.05 '.' 0.1 ' ' 1

Correlation of Fixed Effects:

     (Intr)

Tavg -0.993