[R-sig-ME] LMM with Big data using binary DV

Malcolm Fairbrother m.fairbrother at bristol.ac.uk
Fri Feb 10 19:01:21 CET 2012

Thanks very much for the correction. Just to clarify, are you saying there are two distinct problems:

(1) The possibility of rows with both zero successes and zero failures. This seems minor--one can just check for those and exclude them if there are any, no?

(2) Even if there are no rows with zero successes and zero failures, the optimisation could converge on some very inaccurate parameter estimates, because of the problems you mention with the deviance? (I hope this is roughly the right way to express this point.)

For problems like AC's, it would be quite helpful to have confidence that the "cbind(successes, failures)" approach is trustworthy, so thanks for looking into this.

- Malcolm