[R-sig-ME] LMM with Big data using binary DV

Joshua Wiley jwiley.psych at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 03:28:13 CET 2012

Hi AC,

My personal preference would be glmer from the lme4 package.  I prefer
the Laplace approximation for the likelihood over the quasilikelihood
in glmmPQL.  To give some exemplary numbers, I simulated a dataset
with 2 million observations nested within 200 groups (10,000
observations per group).  I then ran an random intercepts model using:

system.time(m <- glmer(Y ~ X + W + (1 | G), family = "binomial"))

where the matrices/vectors are of sizes: Y = [2 million, 1]; X = [2
million, 6]; W = [2 million, 3]; G = [2 million, 1]

This took around 481 seconds to fit on a 1.6ghz dual core laptop.
With the OS and R running, my system used ~ 6GB of RAM for the model
and went up to ~7GB to show the summary (copies of the data are
made---changed in the upcoming version of lme4).

So as long as you have plenty of memory, you should have no trouble
modelling your data using glmer().  To initially make sure all your
code works, I might use a subset of your data (say 10k), once you are
convinced you have the model you want, run it on the full data.

Cheers,

Josh