[R-sig-ME] Upcoming changes in lme4

Steven McKinney smckinney at bccrc.ca
Tue Feb 7 20:40:08 CET 2012

<snip>

> I forgot to mention an important point for Mac OS X users.  The new
> lme4, which is based on the Eigen linear algebra library, requires the
> RcppEigen package for which there is no binary Mac OS X package on
> CRAN.  It's a ridiculous situation that comes about because Apple
> ships an antique version of gcc in their XCode development
> environment, and won't upgrade because of licensing disagreements.
> Even that very old version of g++ compiles the package successfully
> for Intel Macs but it croaks when trying to cross-compile for the ppc
> architecture.  You can see at
> http://www.r-project.org/nosvn/R.check/r-release-macosx-ix86/RcppEigen-
> 00install.html
> that the advice it to inform Apple of the compiler error but they
> ignore such reports.  Things may improve when XCode 4 is in use
> because it provides clang++ in addition to the same very old version
> of g++.  In the meantime we will provide a binary i386 Mac OS X
> package for RcppEigen.

Thanks for all your hard and good work on the lme4 package.
I use it regularly, but many of my data sets are huge and
64 bit processing is essential.

Would you be able to provide Intel binary i386 (32 bit) and
x86_64 (64 bit) builds in your Mac OS X package?

Best

Steven McKinney

Statistician
Molecular Oncology and Breast Cancer Program
British Columbia Cancer Research Centre