[R-sig-ME] cross-validation of linear mixed effect models

Mike Lawrence Mike.Lawrence at dal.ca
Sun Feb 5 19:55:10 CET 2012

One thought is that according to Fang (2011,
http://www.jds-online.com/file_download/278/JDS-652a.pdf), AIC for a
mixed effects model is asymptotically equivalent to
leave-one-cluster-out cross-validation, so possibly you already have a
metric of cross-validated prediction accuracy in your AIC scores. Now
that I think of it though, I see Fang makes a distinction between
marginal vs conditional AIC, and I'm not sure though which is
implemented when you submit an lmer model to the AIC() function in R.
Also, I'm not sure if the use of REML in fitting the model affects the
equivalence asserted by Fang; certainly I've been advised on this list
before that if I want to compare nested models on AIC scores, I needed
to ensure that REML=F in the fitted models.