[R-sig-ME] repeated measure in partially crossed design

ONKELINX, Thierry Thierry.ONKELINX at inbo.be
Tue Jan 31 13:02:22 CET 2012

Dear Matteo,

You want to know the effect of treatment and season: then you should use them as fixed effect. Here a some models

V1 ~ treatment * season + V2 + (1|subject)
V1 ~ treatment * season + V2 + (1 + V2|subject) #interaction between subject and V2
V1 ~ treatment * season + V2 + (1|subject/season) #interaction between subject and season

You way want to do some reading on mixed models. E.g. Zuur et al (2009)

Best regards,

Thierry

ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Instituut voor natuur- en bosonderzoek / Research Institute for Nature and Forest
Kliniekstraat 25
1070 Anderlecht
Belgium
+ 32 2 525 02 51
+ 32 54 43 61 85
Thierry.Onkelinx at inbo.be
www.inbo.be

To call in the statistician after the experiment is done may be no more than asking him to perform a post-mortem examination: he may be able to say what the experiment died of.
~ Sir Ronald Aylmer Fisher

The plural of anecdote is not data.
~ Roger Brinner

The combination of some data and an aching desire for an answer does not ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body of data.
~ John Tukey