[R-sig-ME] Trouble Replicating Unstructured Mixed Procedure in R

Steven J. Pierce pierces1 at msu.edu
Fri Jan 27 17:31:34 CET 2012

It seems to me that the SAS documentation ought to tell you what algorithm
it uses to compute the degrees of freedom. Perhaps they do that by
referencing a published paper. If so, just read the original source to get
the relevant formulas. The only reliable way to get the same DF that SAS
provides is to use the same formula for calculating it. There may or may not
be existing R code that implements the required formulas, but you need to
know what you're looking for in order to find it.

Steven J. Pierce, Ph.D.
Associate Director
Center for Statistical Training & Consulting (CSTAT)
Michigan State University
E-mail: pierces1 at msu.edu