[R-sig-ME] Trouble Replicating Unstructured Mixed Procedure in R

Steven McKinney smckinney at bccrc.ca
Fri Jan 27 02:20:53 CET 2012

Here's a typical agreement that users of SAS must agree to:

Subject to the provisions contained herein, EMPLOYEE may use the SAS copyrighted computer software products which LICENSEE has provided in accordance with its agreement with SAS.

EMPLOYEE acknowledges that these products are copyrighted and that SAS retains all title and ownership rights to the products.  EMPLOYEE agrees not to copy or permit others to copy the products, in whole or in part.

EMPLOYEE agrees to use the products under this agreement only on a computer which is owned or leased by LICENSEE and controlled by LICENSEE.  EMPLOYEE further agrees that the products must remain under EMPLOYEE's control, and that resale or other transfer is explicitly prohibited.

EMPLOYEE agrees to use the products only for EMPLOYEE's or LICENSEE's own data processing requirements, and not for commercial time-sharing, rental or service bureau use.

EMPLOYEE agrees not to create, or attempt to create, or permit or help others to create, the source code from the products furnished under this agreement.  EMPLOYEE agrees that it will not reverse engineer or decompile the products.

(source: http://www.mcmaster.ca/uts/software_downloads/docs/SAS/saslicendform.doc )

Note that last paragraph.  You can find it in other SAS end user license agreements.

So anyone who tries to "replicate PROC MIXED for repeated measures set as unstructured in R"
is then subject to legal action by the largest wealthiest statistical software company ever in
existence.  I personally am not up for that challenge, especially when the code has
debateable merits.

I'd rather write code from scratch using sound statistical first principles,
which I can do thanks to the amazing amount of hard work by the R core group,
none of whom have ever asked me to sign any agreement (though they do insist
that I distribute source code and the GNU General Public License with any
copies I modify and/or distribute).

Steven McKinney

Statistician
Molecular Oncology and Breast Cancer Program
British Columbia Cancer Research Centre