[R-sig-ME] Trouble Replicating Unstructured Mixed Procedure in R

John Maindonald john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
Thu Jan 26 06:19:22 CET 2012

It is well to note that type III sums of squares are problematic.
For testing the effects of a main effect, the null model is constraining
the main effect in a manner that depends on the parameterisation.

There are situations where it makes sense to fit interactions without
main effects, and it is clear what constraint on the main effect is the
relevant null (with an interaction between a factor and a variable,
does one want all lines to go though the same point, or through
perhaps the origin?), but that situation is unusual.  For lines that
are separate or all through the one point, one does not need
type III sums of squares.

Analyses often or frequently have enough genuine complications
worrying (unless it is blindingly obvious that one ought to worry
about it) without the rarely relevant complication of attending to a
type III sum of squares.

I'd guess that SAS and lme are, effectively, making different
assumptions about the intended generalisation.  They are
clearly using different denominator degrees of freedom for F.
As one is looking for consistency across the 27 different youths,
SAS's denominator degrees of freedom for the interaction seem
more or less right, pretty much equivalent to calculating slopes
for females and slopes for males and using a t-test to compare
them.  (Sure, in the analyses presented, age has been treated
as a categorical variable, but the comment still applies.)

John Maindonald             email: john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
phone : +61 2 (6125)3473    fax  : +61 2(6125)5549
Centre for Mathematics & Its Applications, Room 1194,
John Dedman Mathematical Sciences Building (Building 27)
Australian National University, Canberra ACT 0200.
http://www.maths.anu.edu.au/~johnm