[R-sig-ME] convergence problems and model averaging

David Duffy David.Duffy at qimr.edu.au
Wed Jan 18 00:02:04 CET 2012

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012, Diego Bilski wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> I have 1340 observations of animal survival (binomial), and 10 variables in
> my full model (with no interactions between variables). Using lmer() this
> full model didn't converged, then I removed 2 variables that were highly
> correlated (r=0.75 and 0.49) with two other, and this model presented no
> convergence problems.
>
> I standardized variables dividing by 2SD, in the "arm" package, and used
> the dredge() function of "MuMIn" to perform all combinations of variables,
> then selected those with deltaAIC <= 4. But from the 27 models with this
> deltaAIC, 19 presented false convergence warnings.

So, the 8 variable model works, but submodels of this are failing to
converge?  If you have false convergence warnings, and you are interested
in that model, you will need to crosscheck that solution using another
package.  Since you just have a simple random intercept model, you can use
glmmML, glmmADMB, hglm...

Just 2c, David Duffy.