[R-sig-ME] SE for predictions in lme

Philip Harrison pharriso at uwaterloo.ca
Fri Jan 13 17:46:40 CET 2012

Hi Marta,

My understanding of this is that the SE*2 gives 95% confidence
intervals on predictions. You can add a bonferroni type adjustment by
varying the *2 (which is really 1.96)

The SE2 gives prediction intervals. Confidence intervals of
predictions tell you how well you have predicted the mean. Prediction
intervals tell where you could expect the next to see the next value
sampled. The key point is that the prediction interval tells you about
the distribution of values, not the uncertainty in determining the
population mean.

Therefore as far as I can tell, the CIs are the most useful for making
inferences about differences in the conditional means/BLUPs

You can also use the function predictSE.lme from the package
AICcmodavg to produce prediction and SEs from an lme object and then
calculate CIs accordingly. I like this method as it gives a reference
to the method:

"predictSE.lme? computes predicted values based on fixed effects and
associated standard errors.
Standard errors are approximated using the delta method (Oehlert 1992)"

These two methods result in identical predictions and almost identical
SEs for my dataset

Some confusion arise for me because the predict.lme function calls the
prediction Best linear Unbiased Predictions (BLUPs) which combine
random and fixed effects, and the predictSE.lme function states that
these predictions do not incorporate the random effects. Yet they give
identical predictions for me.

Hope this helps

Phil

Philip Harrison MSc