[R-sig-ME] cannot increase the number of iterations in lme call over 146

Joshua Wiley jwiley.psych at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 06:09:42 CET 2012

On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 7:20 PM, Antonio P. Ramos
<ramos.grad.student at gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]
 at end of the day, it still don't undertand why it
> doesn't obey my instructions and increase the number of interactions, even
> if to crash.

It does increase the number of iterations---you reached a function
evaluation limit, not an iteration limit.  There is not a 1:1
relationship between function evaluations and iterations.  If you're
curious, you may enjoy: http://netlib.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/cstr/153.pdf
 or http://www.numerical-recipes.com/ the first is some documentation
for the PORT routines which are used by nlimnb(), the latter is goes
into more detail about optimization.  There are other (possibly much
better) books out there, but it is the only one I am personally
familiar with.

Cheers,

Josh

--