[R-sig-ME] lmer model for repeated measure in RCB design

Schreiber, Stefan Stefan.Schreiber at ales.ualberta.ca
Tue Jan 10 23:30:34 CET 2012

Hi all,

I have a questions about the following situation and was hoping to find
clarification here.

I have a data frame with the following variables:

id, genotype, group, block, climate, response

I measured a response of 7 genotypes in a randomized complete block
design. I measured each genotype 8 times (n=48). I grouped my 7
genotypes into 3 for me more reasonable groups. I measured the response
on the same 7 genotypes 3 times under different climatic conditions.

I specified block and genotype as random and group as fixed. I believe
the proper random statement should look like: block, genotype nested
within group.

I came up with the following code:

fit1 <- lmer(weight ~ group*climate + (1|block) + (1|group/genotype) ,
data=df)

The problem I have now is how can I include the fact that I measured the
same genotypes at three different times? Can I say (1|group/genotype/id)
instead of (1|group/genotype)?

Thanks for any comments on this!

Stefan