[R-sig-ME] problems with allocate memory with lme4 package

Andrew Crowe Andrew.Crowe at fera.gsi.gov.uk
Mon Dec 19 13:16:33 CET 2011

Paul

While I'm not an expert on the lmer function you might want to try the following:

1) Check that you have a 64 bit install of R/lmer (not just 32 bit running on a 64 bit system)
2) Try extending the memory using memory.limit()
3) Even with a complex model, 3 million rows is quite a lot of data.  Could this be reduced by subsampling and then using the 'removed' data for validation of the model?

Regards

Andrew

Dr Andrew Crowe
Senior Land Use Change Scientist