[R-sig-ME] False convergence in a mixed model.

ONKELINX, Thierry Thierry.ONKELINX at inbo.be
Wed Dec 14 11:03:07 CET 2011

Dear Staffan,

False convergence is often due to a model that is too complex for the data. Do you have enough data to support that four-way interaction. And if so do you really want a four-way interaction?
Another problem might be complete separation: for a given combination of factors all responses are either 0 or 1

Best regards,

Thierry

ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Instituut voor natuur- en bosonderzoek / Research Institute for Nature and Forest
Kliniekstraat 25
1070 Anderlecht
Belgium
Thierry.Onkelinx at inbo.be
www.inbo.be

To call in the statistician after the experiment is done may be no more than asking him to perform a post-mortem examination: he may be able to say what the experiment died of.
~ Sir Ronald Aylmer Fisher

The plural of anecdote is not data.
~ Roger Brinner

The combination of some data and an aching desire for an answer does not ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body of data.
~ John Tukey