[R-sig-ME] valid estimates using lme4?

Abhijit Dasgupta adasgupta at araastat.com
Sat Oct 29 22:53:33 CEST 2011

"Most accurate", in terms of least biased among the procedures tested, but not unbiased by any means. Even NLMIXED shows substantial bias in the Type I error, though perhaps less than the others.

I think the basic point coming out of the paper is that estimation and inference in GLMMs is actually numerically a difficult problem in many cases, and so one should be careful when using them.

I'm R addicted as well, so I'm not defending SAS by any means. I'm just saying that this paper doesn't support the statement that SAS is accurate and validated for this kind of data. I haven't seen anything similar done for Stata (the gllamm routines) or SPSS.

Abhijit