[R-sig-ME] valid estimates using lme4?

Alessandro Moscatelli moskante at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 20:19:12 CEST 2011

The authors states:

"Judging from the results of our simulation study, we conclude that
the SAS NLMIXED procedure
provides the most accurate parameter estimates and inference (type I
error) under correct model
assumptions. Among the remaining procedures, estimates are generally
biased, especially the type I
errors, with the level of accuracy depending not so much on the number
of quadrature points (for
the procedures based on the integral approximation), but rather on the
magnitude of the values of the
parameters."

This is not my personal opinion (I don't use SAS at all...I am an
R-addicted!) I am just citing the article...