[R-sig-ME] Teaching to use lme4

Yvonnick Noel yvonnick.noel at free.fr
Fri Oct 21 09:07:35 CEST 2011

Hello,

> Are you aware that the newest version of SPSS comes with GLMM support
> (finally)? Wouldn't that be just more convenient? You can teach modern
> statistics to psychology students and you can learn them programming. But,
> better do it one at a time.
I agree.

I have some experience with teaching to psychology students (and
researchers). I tried to develop a very simple GTK interface to GLM(M)
and found it useful for teaching (though still a work in progress). You
are still supposed to learn the glm/glmer model syntax, but
between-model comparisons and plots are automatic, which somewhat
simplify things.

You may want to give it a try. If you already have a recent version of R
and GTK installed, just type:

install.package("R2STATS",repos="http://yvonnick.noel.free.fr/cran",dep=TRUE)

Or you may want to install everything (GTK+R2STATS) by:

source("http://yvonnick.noel.free.fr/r2stats/installwin.R")

Don't forget to add C:\GTK\bin to your PATH environmental variable.

HTH,

Yvonnick Noel
University of Brittany
Dpt. of Psychology