[R-sig-ME] lmer and p-values (variable selection)

Dominick Samperi djsamperi at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 02:07:06 CEST 2011

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 7:44 PM, Liaw, Andy <andy_liaw at merck.com> wrote:
> From: John Maindonald
>>
>> Yes, the effect size is ultimately more important.  But one needs
>> to be somewhat sure that the effect is real, and that it is estimated
>> appropriately.  p-values can contribute to a story that gives some
>> smaller or larger confidence that claimed effects are real.  They
>> are just one of several routes that contribute to this end. Opinions
>> differ on whether, in any particular circumstance,  they are the
>> best route.
>>
>> The discussion that prompted these various comments related to
>> a different use of p-values (and p-value 'alternatives'), one that is
>> even more controversial.  It related to the use of p-values in
>> excluding or including model explanatory terms.  Here, there are
>> several related issues:
>>
>> 1) Inference for model parameters should take account of the
>> process that has generated the model that is under consideration.
>> This includes any omission of terms that are judged of no statistical
>> consequence.  The standard interpretations of p-values apply,
>> strictly, only if there has been no  elimination/selection of
>> variables.
>>
>> 2) In models that have certain types of imbalance, parameter
>> estimates can change markedly (even to changing sign), depending
>> on what other terms are in the model.
>>
>> 3) Point 2 argues for choosing the model that is on
>> scientific grounds
>> most reasonable, and sticking with it.  If model parameters are
>> important to the subsequent discussion, be sure that their estimates
>> condition on the 'correct' other set of model variables,
>> i.e., that the
>> other variables that are in the model are the ones that are required
>> to allow this interpretation.
>
> I'm afraid that all too often the reason models are chosen on
> "statistical ground" is the lack of "scientific ground".  Sort of
> a catch 22, I guess...  Even when "scientific ground" exists,
> what exactly constitute one, and how do we know it's not
> another rabbit (or ozone) hole?
>
> Andy

Yes, this is particularly so when studying social systems
or any rapidly evolving system (like the financial markets).
In this situation the statistical picture is often just a
snapshot that should probably be labeled (conditioned)
by the time of observation and the context.

In view of this complexity I'm tempted to view p-values
and hypothesis testing (when used in this context) as
a communication protocol that helps statisticians to
reach a consensus, and not as a tool that reveals
timeless truths.

Dominick