[R-sig-ME] Does lmer with default family require normal distribution of IV

Reinhold Kliegl reinhold.kliegl at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 11:25:16 CET 2011

Just as an addition: The distribution has an impact on power. If I
recall correctly, as far as interactions between covariates
(predictors) is concerned power is highest for uniform distributions
and pretty bad for normal distributions; for details see McClelland &
Judd (1993, Statistical difficulties of detecting interactions and
moderator effects, Psychological Bulletin). That's one of the
advantages of experimental design over field studies and one reason
why you need lots of data if you want to get significant interactions
between continuously measured covariates (which usually have some kind
of normal-looking distribution.)
Reinhold Kliegl