[R-sig-ME] NLME model syntax

ONKELINX, Thierry Thierry.ONKELINX at inbo.be
Mon Feb 28 15:56:50 CET 2011

Dear Toby,

Now I see what the problem is. You need to specify which parameter will be used in the random effects. See also the example in ?nlme

Suppose that you only want b0 to vary per chamber

test <- nlme(flux ~ b0 * exp((b1*soiltemp) - (b2*soiltemp^2)) * vpd^b3 * mstsoil2^b4 * airtemp^b5, data = ac5, fixed = list(b0 + b1 + b2 + b3 + b4 + b5 ~ 1), random = b0 ~ 1|chamber, start = c(b0 = 570, b1 = 0.08, b2 = 0.002, b3 = -0.06, b4 = 3, b5 = 0.3), subset = airtemp > 0)

Best regards,

Thierry

ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Instituut voor natuur- en bosonderzoek
team Biometrie & Kwaliteitszorg
Gaverstraat 4
9500 Geraardsbergen
Belgium

Research Institute for Nature and Forest
team Biometrics & Quality Assurance
Gaverstraat 4
9500 Geraardsbergen
Belgium

tel. + 32 54/436 185
Thierry.Onkelinx at inbo.be
www.inbo.be

To call in the statistician after the experiment is done may be no more than asking him to perform a post-mortem examination: he may be able to say what the experiment died of.
~ Sir Ronald Aylmer Fisher

The plural of anecdote is not data.
~ Roger Brinner

The combination of some data and an aching desire for an answer does not ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body of data.
~ John Tukey