[R-sig-ME] time-series analysis: how to deal with 'nuisance' factors influencing a trend?

Giancarlo Sadoti gcsadoti at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 16 08:22:23 CET 2010

Thank you David.

I meant to say "three years is inadequate for the inclusion of an autoregressive or moving-average structure".  Thank you for confirming this.

My central question relates to the apparent and confounding influence of another characteristic of each site (in this case the mean # of individuals) on the "trend" fixed effect (in this case the change in per-site # of individuals across the three years).  How is the best way to 'control' for this influence in a mixed model in order to get to the 'true' trend?

Thanks for any additional insights.

Giancarlo