[R-sig-ME] time-series analysis: how to deal with 'nuisance'factors influencing a trend?

David Duffy davidD at qimr.edu.au
Thu Dec 16 07:44:41 CET 2010

On Wed, 15 Dec 2010, Giancarlo Sadoti wrote:

> I'm examining longitudinal data of counts [COUNT] of a species across
> three years [YEAR] and across 40 sites [SITE].  My primary interest is
> in the coefficient of YEAR to determine if there is a trend across the
> three years.  Counts fit a poisson distribution.  I can't cite this, but
> it is my understanding that three years is inadequate for the inclusion
> of a temporal correlation structure, so I am not including it.

As I understand it, 3 years is not enough data to _differentiate_ between
an autoregressive model with innovations, and a "general" correlation
model.  You can definitely include YEAR random effects and either model
will fit equally well, and may or may not be a significant improvement on
your original model.

Cheers, David Duffy.