[R-sig-ME] lmer vs SAS results

Darren Norris doon75 at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 24 00:35:09 CET 2010

Hi Beth,
I am sure other members will add their thoughts as to why the
differences are occurring (I know how much they love such comparisons).
However, I just wanted to add that between 5 May 2008 and 20 September
2010 there have been around 115 messages with "SAS" on this list.
I know it is hard but it could be worth looking through some of these

Secondly your AIC values are not that different between any of the 3
models. Are you expecting particularly strong support for one over any
other?
You might be beating yourself up needlessly?

Members of this list have made and maintain several amazingly accessible
packages and contributed time to the wiki ( http://glmm.wikidot.com/ )
etc....
The fact you are using this list and the packages to me suggests that
you do not necessarily need the "help" of the statistician -
at least when it comes to mixed models....... oh did you think about
using BIC (seems to "agree" pretty well.....).
Best wishes,
Darren