[R-sig-ME] John Nelder and Nelder-Lee HGLMs

Murray Jorgensen maj at waikato.ac.nz
Mon Nov 1 00:34:22 CET 2010

Roger Payne's obituary for John Nelder may be found at

http://www.vsni.co.uk/home-pages/john-nelder/

There can be no doubt that John Nelder has changed the face of modern
statistics with his work on linear models and generalized linear models
which form the core of the Genstat package and were central in the
development of S and R.

I want to draw the attention of this Sig to the following passage in the
obituary in which GLMMs are criticised.

<quote>
John’s other major activity at Imperial College was his collaboration
with Youngjo Lee to develop the theory of hierarchical generalized
linear models (HGLMs); see the papers by Lee & Nelder (1996, 2001, 2006)
and the book by Lee, Nelder & Pawitan (2006). The 1996 and 2006 papers
were presented as “read papers” at meetings of the Royal Statistical
Society; it is impressive to note that John was 81 years old when he and
Youngjo presented the 2006 paper. HGLMs aimed to provide satisfactory
methods of analysis for non-Normal data when there is more than one
source of random variation. John viewed generalized linear models as a
way of liberating statisticians from the “tyranny” of the Normal
distribution, and was a little bemused to see this same tyranny
reestablished in methods that were devised initially to extend
generalized linear models. These generalized linear mixed models (GLMMs)
catered for additional random variation by adding additional
Normally-distributed random effects into the linear model of the
generalized linear model. John and Youngjo’s new HGLMs extended the
methodology to include the beta-binomial, gamma and inverse-gamma
distributions, and showed that the conjugate HGLMs (namely binomial GLM
with additional beta-binomial random effects, or Poisson with gamma, or
gamma with inverse gamma) had attractive advantages in their
mathematical theory, computing algorithms and philosophical
interpretation. HGLMs can be fitted very efficiently by two interlinked
generalized linear models. So we have access to a familiar repertoire of
model checking techniques, and can base our choice of error
distributions on the data rather than on prejudice or software
limitations. Furthermore the analysis can still be carried out
interactively – always a very important consideration for John.
</quote>

I have some difficulties with the views of this paragraph and wish to
make some comments. Firstly HGLMs do allow added flexibility to the
modelling of non-normal data by allowing for non-normal distributions of
random effects. However unless there is knowledge about the about the
nature of the random effect distributions from the context of the
application this flexibility just adds problems by allowing a much
larger model space within which to choose and estimate a model.

Secondly Nelder and Lee do not use standard likelihood or Bayesian
methods to fit their HGLMs but instead develop another construction
called h-likelihood. It is a while since I tried to look at these but I
remember being reminded of the 'classification likelihood' approach to
finite mixture modelling where assignments of data to components were
treated as parameters to be estimated along with the component
parameters and mixing proportions. A number of papers have commented
that this is not a good idea, for example
@ARTICLE{lr83,
   author  = {Little, R. J. A. and Rubin, D. B.},
   title   = {On jointly estimating parameters and
missing data by maximizing the complete data likelihood},
   journal = {Amer. Statist.},
   volume  = {37},
   number  = {},
   pages   = {218-220},
   year    = {1983}
}

I wonder if members of this list can point me to discussions, critical
or supportive, of Lee and Nelder's models and methods. Of course I am
aware of the discussion of their JRSS paper so you needn't remind me of
that.

Also, is anyone aware if someone is planning to implement HGLMs, by any
estimation method, in R?

Best wishes,  Murray

--
Dr Murray Jorgensen      http://www.stats.waikato.ac.nz/Staff/maj.html
Department of Statistics, University of Waikato, Hamilton, New Zealand