[R-sig-ME] Confidence Intervals on Fitted Values from lmer

Mike Lawrence Mike.Lawrence at dal.ca
Sat Oct 2 10:02:50 CEST 2010

I thought I'd try to contribute a couple points:

1) Overlap of 95% CIs doesn't necessarily mean that two points can't
be considered as draw from populations of different means. On the
other hand, examining overlap of 84% CIs may let you make this
inference. Ref:
http://stats.stackexchange.com/questions/1169/ci-for-a-difference-based-on-independent-cis

2) The latest version (2.1) of the ez package, released earlier this
week, has an ezPredict() function that obtains lmer model predictions
for fixed effects plus expected variance (n.b. the variance considers
fixed effects only). Mostly a wrapper around code found at the glmm
wiki (glmm.wikidot.com/faq), but possibly convenient.

3) When in doubt, bootstrap! :Op Depending on the complexity of your
design, you may find the ezBoot() function from the ez package
interesting. By default it can only accept 1 random effect, and fixed
effects aren't allowed to affect the intercept, but you could take a
look at its source and easily adapt it to a more complex situation
(though you'll need to give careful consideration to formulating a
proper sampling procedure in the context of those complications). Then
look to ezBootPlot() for visualization inspiration.

Cheers,

Mike

--
Mike Lawrence
Graduate Student

Looking to arrange a meeting? Check my public calendar:
http://tr.im/mikes_public_calendar

~ Certainty is folly... I think. ~