[R-sig-ME] Confidence Intervals on Fitted Values from lmer

Corey Godfrey Corey.Godfrey at cadmusgroup.com
Fri Oct 1 22:17:48 CEST 2010

Yes, that seems to be the tricky part. I am able to extract what I need for the fixed effects from the variance-covariance matrix. However, the resulting confidence intervals are much wider than I believe they should be. I think this might be because the random effects are helping to explain some of the variance in the data, resulting in "significant" t-values on my fixed effects of interest, but they (the random effects) are not included in the calculation of the confidence intervals. Therefore, a plot of the fitted values and  confidence intervals appears to show a non-significant association between fitted values and my fixed effect of interest (i.e., you could draw a straight line between the CIs).

I apologize for not including the code in my post, but it is quite lengthy. I am also not a statistician or an expert in R, so am doing my best to explain this problem without getting in too far over my head.