[R-sig-ME] Interpretation of lmer's sigma for binomial data

David Duffy davidD at qimr.edu.au
Mon Aug 2 01:44:20 CEST 2010

On Mon, 2 Aug 2010, Rolf Turner wrote:

> I would like to second the request for enlightenment on this issue.
> In particular, how does this fit with the recent posting from Jarrod
> Hadfield:
>
>> Over-dispersion does not occur with a binary response variable so you
>> don't need to test for it.

> So what is the quasibinomial family ***doing***, then?

The only trouble with this differentiation of Bernoulli data from
Binomial data is that we usually fit both types of data using the same
model.  Which is say, dispersion problems are seen once you are
trying to model the effects of a covariate, which is implicitly present
for the binomial setup.

Cheers, David Duffy.