[R-sig-ME] Interpretation of lmer's sigma for binomial data

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Mon Aug 2 00:38:15 CEST 2010

I would like to second the request for enlightenment on this issue.
In particular, how does this fit with the recent posting from Jarrod
Hadfield:

> Over-dispersion does not occur with a binary response variable so you
> don't need to test for it.
>
> This does not mean that between-datum heterogeneity in the probability
> of success is absent, only that it cannot be observed. For example,
> take 1000 random draws from a binomial distribution with constant
> probability (0.5):
>
> table(rbinom(1000, 1, 0.5))
>
> and compare the frequency of outcomes with a 1000 draws from 1000
> binomial distributions with different probabilities of success (but
> with mean = 0.5)
>
> table(rbinom(1000, 1, runif(1000)))
>
> The data look the same, and so the between-datum heterogeneity
> (residual variance if you like) although it may exist cannot be
> estimated from the data.

Hadfield's posting makes perfectly good sense to me.  I have done
simulation experiments similar to that which he suggested, and have
found what he said I would find.  Also I did some simple theoretical
manipulations which further confirmed his assertions.

So what is the quasibinomial family ***doing***, then?

	cheers,

		Rolf Turner

On 2/08/2010, at 10:27 AM, Rafael Laboissiere wrote:

> Dear colleagues,
>
> First of all, I apologize if this is not the appropriate forum for my
> question.
>
> I am trying to understand the meaning of the sigma slot in the
> summary.mer class of the lme4 package (version 0.999375-34).  From what I
> read in this mailing list's archive and elsewhere, sigma gives an
> indication of under- or over-dispersed data.
>
> So, I ran the following code:
>
>    # Generate 20 repetitions of binary responses for size of 40
>    # and a theoretical probability of 0.5
>    repetitions <- 20
>    size <- 40
>    set.seed (1)
>    success <- rbinom (repetitions, size, 0.5)
>
>    # Compute the failure rate
>    failure <- size - success
>
>    # Add a dummy random effect variable, otherwise lmer barks
>    block <- c (rep ("A", 10), rep ("B", 10))
>
>    # Fit a binomial model using the actual counts
>    library (lme4)
>    m.binom <- lmer (cbind (success, failure) ~ 1 + (1 | block), family = binomial)
>
>    # Fit a quasibinomial model using the proportions
>    m.quasi <- lmer (success / (success + failure) ~ 1 + (1 | block), family = quasibinomial)
>
> As expected, the value of summary(m.binom)@sigma is 1.  Since the data is
> generated with rbinom and no under- or over-dispersion has been
> explicitly introduced in it, I would expect that sigma for m.quasi is
> also close to 1.  However, I see:
>
>> summary(m.quasi)@sigma
>    [1] 0.07716662
>
> I am sure I am terribly failing to understand something here.  What is
> it?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Rafael Laboissiere

Attention:
This e-mail message is privileged and confidential. If you are not the
intended recipient please delete the message and notify the sender.
Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author.

This e-mail has been scanned and cleared by MailMarshal
www.marshalsoftware.com