[R-sig-ME] problem fitting a mixed model due to between subjectvariation

David Duffy davidD at qimr.edu.au
Thu Jul 29 01:47:02 CEST 2010

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010, R.Donders at ebh.umcn.nl wrote:

> ... These are not my own
> data and the people who provided me with the data gave me a choice:
> either I could use their data but then it should be impossible to trace
> back to any content matter [...]

Hmph.  So, should one expect autoregressive or order effects within each
subject across values of pred?

> Indeed from a graphical inspection (not as nice as yours) I also
> concluded that there really should not be any effect of pred for
> individual subjects. I thought that conclusion was even valid for
> clusters of all sizes.

Yes.  I did this so there would be enough within-cluster data to
look at nonlinear effects.  Specifically whether the curviness of loess
fits was systematic.  I was thinking of the textbook examples of a
completely deterministic relationship with zero linear correlation.

> dropping unused levels (still don't know how to do that in one step)

[drop=T]

Just 2c, David.