[R-sig-ME] problem fitting a mixed model due to between subjectvariation

R.Donders at ebh.umcn.nl R.Donders at ebh.umcn.nl
Wed Jul 28 10:24:45 CEST 2010

Dear David,

Thanks for the reply. I wish it were homework... These are not my own
data and the people who provided me with the data gave me a choice:
either I could use their data but then it should be impossible to trace
back to any content matter, or I should generate data and then I could
explain where the data came from. I chose the first option...

I also looked at the random slopes model, but since it gave a
correlation of -1 I first tried to solve the simpler case.

Indeed from a graphical inspection (not as nice as yours) I also
concluded that there really should not be any effect of pred for
individual subjects. I thought that conclusion was even valid for
clusters of all sizes. But for the people who provided me with the data,
this is only a starting model; they want to look at the effect of
additional covariates, so a conclusion like 'there is no effect of pred'
is not enough.

Restricting the analysis to the large clusters only, things do not seem
to become simpler. Following your example:
# t1 <-  table(strangedat$subject)
strangedatlargeclust <- strangedat[strangedat$subject %in%
rownames(t1)[t1 == 6],]
strangedatlargeclust$subject <- factor(strangedatlargeclust$subject) #
dropping unused levels (still don't know how to do that in one step)

# using nlme as in my previous post:

lmemodlargeclust <- lme(outcome ~ pred, data = strangedatlargeclust,
random = ~pred|subject)
summary(lmemodlargeclust)

# or using lme4
# in that case use:
# detach('package:nlme')
# require(lme4)

lmemodlargeclust <- lmer(outcome ~ pred + (pred|subject), data =
strangedatlargeclust)
summary(lmemodlargeclust)

For lme4 I obtain:

Linear mixed model fit by REML
Formula: outcome ~ pred + (pred | subject)
   Data: strangedatlargeclust
   AIC   BIC logLik deviance REMLdev
 486.4 508.2 -237.2      464   474.4
Random effects:
 Groups   Name        Variance Std.Dev. Corr
 subject  (Intercept) 0.0000   0.00000
          pred        0.0000   0.00000    NaN
 Residual             0.3168   0.56285
Number of obs: 276, groups: subject, 46

Fixed effects:
            Estimate Std. Error t value
(Intercept)  0.21668    0.07068    3.07
pred         0.88911    0.02550   34.87

(For nlme things appear to be not that gross, but I guess that is only
appearance:
Linear mixed-effects model fit by REML