[R-sig-ME] MCMCglmm with a fairly large sample size

Jarrod Hadfield j.hadfield at ed.ac.uk
Fri Jul 2 11:36:53 CEST 2010

Hi Kevin,

If you are not getting convergence after such a long time I would be
more inclined to try and identify why this might be the case rather
than sampling subsets of the data. Under some situations for some
distributions (multinomial and ZIPs particularly) MCMCglmm may not mix
well and there is very little the user can do except wait. In general
I have not found ordinal responses to be a problem unless there are
structural problems (e.g. all levels of the response are associated
with a single level of a fixed predictor) or variances are trapped at
zero. These problems can sometimes be solved by either
reparameterising the model, placing a stronger prior on coefficients
associated with structural problems or using parameter expansion. If
the lack of convergence/mixing occurs when you add certain fixed/
random effects it may help a diagnosis.

Cheers,

Jarrod

On 1 Jul 2010, at 07:31, Kyuho Jin wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I am relatively new to the MCMC approach, but trying to estimate a
> two-level
> ordinal probit model via MCMCglmm.
>
> My ordinal model is basically simple, but includes many fixed effects
> variables: 2 independent variables and 32 control variables
> including 14
> year dummies. In addition, it allows for four random effects that are
> independent each other. Consequently, I believe my model structure is
> represented as follows:
>
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
>> prior <- list(R=list(V=1,nu=0.002, fix=1), G=list(G1=list(V=1,
> nu=0.002),G2=list(V=1, nu=0.002),G3=list(V=1, nu=0.002),G4=list(V=1,
> nu=0.002)))
>> model <-  MCMCglmm(ordinal DV ~ 34 fixed effects variables, random
>> = ~4
> independent random effects, family="ordinal", options ...)
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> [...]

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.